Mar 10, 2009

Creation

I am having a theme this week - creation.
"...Creation brings deep satisfaction and fulfillment. We develop ourselves and others when we take unorganized matter into our hands and mold it into something of beauty
.....Creation means bringing into existence something that did not exist before—colorful gardens, harmonious homes, family memories, flowing laughter..." is quoted by Dieter F. Uchtdorf.
It's true. When I make something and see the progress or result, I get a sense of satisfaction. And because, somehow, almost every year, this almost-end-of-winter-but-not-quite-yet-in-Michigan weather in March is so hard for me. I needed something to perk me up.

So, that's the theme. Creation. Doesn't have to be anything fancy, but I'm going to try to create something this week.

Yesterday, I created a memory with my daughter, making pizza from scratch - dough and 2 kind of sauces. No pic, sorry. I'll post another time. M "helped" me rolling the dough and poking with folk. Mostly, she was next to me playing with water in the sink, but it's a start of creating memory in the kitchen with mom, just like I remember with my mom in her kitchen. By the way, I believe I just made the most delicious home-made pizza - I got thumbs up from J and "Mmmmm!!!" from my hubby.

Today, I baked a french bread, the pic below. They were so beautiful, and tasted yummy. And J and I baked cupcakes. I measured, and J poured them in a mixer. We created yummy cupcakes and green frosting together - a good memory of being in the kitchen together. I hope kids will remember these things coming out of Mommy's kitchen, not from a box at some store.

I just checked out a book, Just Like Mama Used to Make. It's a recipe book, but also talks about traditions and things in this Italian family. She talks how her mom is the kitchen all the time - cooking, canning, baking, etc. I thought "that sounds like me!" I really love being in the kitchen making things. One point in my life, I had thought myself as less of a mom because I don't sit down with kids to play much, or bring painting stuff out for kids to make a mess. But that was silly of me. I do enough with kids in my kitchen. That's our playground - with flour and sugar and
water and all kind of unorganized matter. We put them into our hands and mold it into something of beauty. What a beauty.

4 comments:

carizolli said...

Your french bread looks beautiful!

I've been "creating" yummy stuff in the kitchen with my kids this week too :) Sunday night was brownies with Corbin and last night was rice pudding with both kids.

Kristin said...

Your bread did turn out so pretty. Creation is a good theme - it feels so good to make something special and share it with those we love!

Mari said...

I love this idea! What a great theme for the week. And oh my gosh! I am so jealous of your french bread. It looks wonderful! And I can't make homemade pizza dough for the life of me so I'm jealous of that too. You're good.

beckmarsh said...

French bread? You are freaking me out! I am so horrible at making anything involving dough. I need some lessons from you, I think. We could do it on Skype!