Oct 6, 2009

Good-bye, Thumb!

J has been known to suck his thumb since he was a baby. Pacifier, you can cut it, toss it, hide it...you can do a lot of things to get rid of it. But, his own thumb. I can't cut it or hide it. It just doesn't go anywhere but his mouth. I have tried covering with a bandage, putting nasty nail polish on, talking him about teeth being pushed and hurt, etc. Nothing worked. But, one day, he decided to stop it. The key was a comment from his friend K, who is 8-year-old and J looks up to.
His comment: "You know J, if you suck your thumb, it'll melt away. Did you know that?"
That's it. J must have believed it and got scared. He has been very conscious about it, and I don't think I have seen him sucking his thumb for at least a few weeks, if not longer.
My son graduated from thumb sucking! Yay!!

No comments: