Jan 19, 2010

A week with 8 kids


This week, I'm staying with my sister-in-law's kids while she and her husband are out of town for a conference. They have 5 kids. 5 + 3 = 8. Eight kids. Hers are 10, 12, 13, 15, 17 (or something like that), and pretty self sufficient. And actually it's been quite fun. This is our second year doing it.
My kids are having fun - playing with new toys, learning new things from cousins, watching cartoons on cable, etc. Oh, and they have a big backyard and a trampoline. They put their snowsuits on and jump on the trampoline. J played probably close to 1.5 hours with his 10-year-old cousin outside - making fort out of snowbank. They were so tired tonight, but they just did not want to go to bed. When I was reading books laying down between them, they were fighting with their sleepy eyes. It was really cute.
And for myself...I am enjoying 5 extra sets of hands doing all the chores. 5 kids = 5 meals assigned! So I don't have to cook dinner at all this week! Love it.
Do I want 8 kids? No. I don't think I can do that. But it's a fun experience. It kind of gives me an idea of what it will be like to have school age kids, who leaves house at what time, who has what lesson on what day, etc. And, I have to say, I appreciate my life with little kids, because I can take a nap when I need it, especially the day after baby K was up all night.

1 comment:

rebecca said...

WOW GIRL! A new baby and 5 extra kids! You're amazing!