May 4, 2012

A gift of journals

It was not a New Year resolution, but about a few months ago, I decided to start a journal.

For each child. (Blue for J, pink for M, and green for K - the color happens to match to their baby blankets, kind of. )

I don't do scrap booking for my family. Kids have kinda-sorta-filled baby books. I have tons of pictures in my PC, not printed. I have several journals that I write from time to time, including this one and the one include not-so-happy stuff.

But this is going to be different. It is more like letters to them. I am writing individual journals not only to record our family memories and their milestones, but also to share my thoughts, hopefully, for many years to come. I am writing anything I want each one of them to know; I am sharing my memory, my experience, my wisdom, and most of all, my love.

My hope is that sometime in the future when they are away from home and face challenges in life, they will open this and read to remember how much they are loved and they will be able to overcome whatever the hardship they may face. I hope, as I share things in their journals, they will not make the same mistakes that I made or misery I struggled through when I was younger.

So, I write occasionally, like maybe once every week or so, when they do something funny or special. From the topic, I usually move onto share my thoughts and experience or whatever I want to share.

Because I want them to know that I will always love them no matter what (yes, it gets harder when a 2-year-old is throwing a full-blown tantrum throwing toys at...but that's another story), and that each one of them are a very special child with special qualities.

Would they roll their eyes when they read it? Maybe. Maybe not. We'll see.

No comments: